Morels must always be cooked before eating. The mushrooms contain a toxin that is destroyed by cooking. Eating them raw can cause gastric distress. When consuming morels for the first time, eat only a small amount. If there are no ill effects, enjoy the tasty morels.
Morels can be cooked like any other mushroom – fried, sautéed or grilled. Since their flavor is unique, most morel hunters suggest simply frying or sautéing. Try sautéing them with olive oil or butter and a little garlic.
Find our favorite morel recipes here.