Are you spending the holidays alone this year? Whether or not it’s by choice, there are many ways you can make the most of a solo holiday season.
First, there’s nothing wrong with wanting to celebrate Christmas by yourself. Just let your friends and family know that you’d rather be alone and don’t let anyone make you feel guilty about your decision. But if you don’t actually want to spend the holidays on your own, remember that being alone doesn’t have to feel lonely! There are a number of different ways to meet people over the holidays.
• Go to a singles event or a religious service
• Attend a Christmas event in your community (activities, shows, dances) or a holiday dinner that’s open to the public (check out hotels, inns and night clubs)
• Invite neighbors or acquaintances who are also spending the holidays alone over for brunch
• Go outside — solo sports like skiing and skating are especially great for meeting new people
• Donate your time — volunteering is a wonderful way to spread joy all around you during this season of love and sharing!
If you’re going to be spending time alone, you might as well treat yourself. Catch a last-minute flight somewhere warm, hit the spa to relax and recharge, spend some time on a pet project or whip up your favorite dessert — you can do whatever you please without worrying about anyone but yourself. Happy holidays!