29. He has been elected to 14 consecutive terms as mayor of Marion.
30. Butler said at the beginning of the year that he didn't anticipate another run. "I think that is long enough," he said in an interview with The Southern on Jan. 17. He announced on Friday he will retire Jan. 31.
31. In 2007 Butler was featured in the New York Times. In the article, Butler discussed spikes in electricity for residents of Marion and his efforts in buying power from an independent contractor. He was joined by other local officials in Southern Illinois.
32. He also was featured in a separate article by The Associated Press for his 42nd year in office.
33. As a teenager, Butler enjoyed reading.
34. Butler said his interest in literature grew when a friend recommended that he read Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini. The book remains a top favorite in relation to government for Butler.
35. Despite having a full day's work Butler said reading remains a "principal" hobby.
36. Butler said he enjoys a wide variety of literature.
37. Mark Twain and Charles Dickens are his favorite authors.
38. His favorite novel by Dickens is "The Pickwick Papers."
39. He also lists "Don Quixote" by Miguel de Cervantes as a favorite from his current collection.
40. Butler has written columns for local newspapers in the region.