SPRINGFIELD — The Illinois State Board of Elections says it will mail notices to about 700 voters whose records were viewed during a cyberattack on the state’s voter registration database earlier this summer.
It is “strongly suspected” that another 86,000 records were viewed, the board said in a statement issued Wednesday, and staff is working to identify those voters, who will be notified within 30 days. The board believes another 3,533 records were viewed that it won’t be able to identify.
“If a voter’s records were viewed, hackers could have obtained the voter’s name, address and date of birth,” the board’s statement says. “If the voter provided a phone number, email address, driver’s license number or the last four digits of his or her social security number when registration occurred, that information may also have been viewed.”
The board remains confident that no voter information was altered or deleted from the database during the attack, which was first detected in mid-July and led to a two-week shutdown of the state’s online voter registration system. The board has also confirmed that no voter history information or signature images were taken from the database.
Ken Menzel, the board’s general counsel, said earlier this week that as many as 200,000 records may have been accessed, but Wednesday’s statement suggests the intrusion, which was of “unknown origin,” was more limited.
“It appears that approximately one-half of one percent of the records in the database were viewed, and many of those only contained information that is otherwise publicly available from other sources,” according to the board’s statement.
The elections board is cooperating with an ongoing FBI investigation. The FBI issued an alert to election authorities across the country in mid-August in the wake of the Illinois attack and another in Arizona.
The elections board says any voter who believes he or she is the victim of identity theft should contact the Illinois attorney general’s identity theft hotline at 866-999-5630.