Illinoisans: Lots of excitement at DNC

2012-09-06T07:00:00Z Illinoisans: Lots of excitement at DNCBY LINDA RUSH, The Southern The Southern
September 06, 2012 7:00 am  •

Steve and Kappy Scates of Shawneetown are attending their fifth Democratic National Convention this week, Kappy said.

“I’m not the delegate this time — Steve is,” she said. “I’m looking forward to hearing the nominating speeches tonight and the acceptances on Thursday night.” Although weather has forced a move to a different venue (“It’s rained here every day,” she said.), she is hoping everyone will get to hear the speakers.

The couple has attended “both of Clinton’s conventions, John Kerry’s, and both of Barack’s,” Kappy Scates said. She was looking forward to hearing Clinton’s speech on Wednesday night.

“Clinton is an excellent speaker,” she said. “He seems to enjoy it a lot.” She also has enjoyed “getting to see our Illinois friends at receptions and other events,” she said.

When they attended the 2008 convention in Denver, Kappy was the delegate and most events were held outdoors, she said.

A highlight vacation for the Scates family this year was a trip to Washington, where they were invited to visit the White House. The Scates clan, 26 in all including kids and most of the grandkids, made the trip in style.

“Our daughter in Nashville has a friend who has a tour company — he drives country stars around in a bus,” Kappy Scates said. “He hauled us all there and visited the White House, too.” One grandson missed the tour because he was in Africa doing soybean research, but the others thoroughly enjoyed it, she said. One of the youngest grandsons complimented Obama on his cool living quarters, she said with a laugh.

After the convention, the Scateses plan to visit relatives in Charlotte, Raleigh and Columbus before heading home, she said.

Lt. Gov. Sheila Simon took time to text a few observations from the floor.

“Sister Simone Campbell just spoke — she was fantastic,” Simon said. “She appealed to the best in us — and our responsibility to look after all in our society.” Sister Simone is executive director of the Roman Catholic Social Justice Organization.

“Sandra Fluke talking now — she got a huge round of applause. Also the head of the UAW talked about the President’s courage in saving the auto industry — very persuasive,” Simon wrote.

Simon also was impressed by the size of the crowd at the convention and its enthusiasm.

“The floor is packed,” she texted. “Lots of excitement and not a seat to spare in the Illinois delegation.”

linda.rush@thesouthern.com

618-351-5079

Copyright 2015 The Southern. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(13) Comments

1. boone76
    boone76 - September 07, 2012 10:31 pm
    SIUGrad....

Sorry that my comment was a bit terse. I have grown a bit hypersensitive to over reaching comments like "ALL Republicans think this" or "All Democrats think that" because none us think the same way on all topics. My disappointment is how us moderate Republicans have grown silent and have let the Tea Party style of governing (or not governing) carry the flag for the party.

When did compromising stop being a sign of statesmanship and become a sign of surrender? That is just wrong and suicidal. With that said, I'm still trying to figure out why the blue collar workers of the Democratic Party apparently let the Hollywood folks become their parties public mouth piece.

This country is in a mess. Folks like you I have many more similarities than differences. We just need stop letting the far fringes of both of our parties dictate our messages. I would love to see a third party made up of Moderate Republicans and Blue Dog Democrats formed if our voices are continued to be held in check. Our country is in one h-ll of a hole and will continue to be until the common sense moderates from both parties stand up to get something done. We can't continue to sit on our hands and be silent any longer.
  2. SIUGrad711
    SIUGrad711 - September 07, 2012 9:30 pm
    Of course, I didn't literally mean all of the GOP, but most. It's good to see that some Republicans have a sense about them. Out here in Tucson everyone's worried about the debt deal and its implications on defense spending (Tucson is home to Davis-Montham Air Force Base and Raytheon's Missile Division headquarters is here). I understand their concern, but I don't understand how the GOP expects to balance the budget without raising taxes and cutting spending on the military. My Dems. are going to have to give on entitlement spending too - things will have to be restructured, starting with raising the age for receiving SS and/or Medicare. Nothing should be sacred cows here. Most importantly though, we need to get the economy growing which will ultimately get tax receipts up which will help the debt and deficits. This may, though, require more short-term spending on infrastructure and education (which really should be long-term spending), but this can be at least offset (hopefully more than offset) by cuts in entitlements (or reforming them - I'm not advocating vouchers or privatization though), the military and raising taxes. Look, I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, and I don't want to pay higher taxes, but if it will help the country for me to pay a couple % points higher, then I will. When the economy improves and more people have jobs, which raises tax receipts, then this, along with the cuts and tax rate increases mentioned above, will way more than offset the investments in infrastructure and education.
  3. SIUGrad711
    SIUGrad711 - September 07, 2012 9:19 pm
    I'm a Democrat, but there are some Republicans I have much admiration for. Lincoln is one of my heroes (and I think this country's greatest President) and I would rate Teddy Roosevelt as probably one of the top 5 Presidents ever too. I don't agree with all of Goldwater's stances (just as I don't agree with all of Obama's, or Bill Clinton's stances either), but he was right on in the quotes of his I posted. Eisenhower's final address to the nation was brilliant - about the potential abuses of the military industrial complex. You speak of where the GOP is heading, and it made me think of another Goldwater quote (which he said a few years before his death, to Bob Dole): "We're the new liberals of the Republican party. Can you imagine that?"
  4. thirsten
    thirsten - September 07, 2012 7:06 am
    Boone, I think we need to get rid of the Bush tax cuts. Several months ago I commented about the fact that our tax revenues declined on year over year basis for 2 years after the Bush tax cuts. This does'nt happen often, if I remember correctly this was the only decline in approximately 75 years. During this same period we increased spending for Homeland Security, Medicare drug program and two wars. We have to cut spending. Republicans say they want to do it, Democrats say they want to do it, but neither will allow any cuts that might cause a backlash from their respective base. Why can't we cut EVERYTHING in the budget? Let's make cuts equally to all program.

I feel that Obama and Boehner could have made great strides toward improving our wasteful spending but were hijacked by extremists in both parties, but mainly the TeaParty.
  5. OLD JOE
    OLD JOE - September 07, 2012 4:29 am
    Boone, Just were can I find the U.S. updated federal budget plan at? Or has our democrat lawmakers, just been playing it by ear? Spend tomorrow's money today, and hope China don't go broke.
  6. boone76
    boone76 - September 07, 2012 1:42 am
    "The conservative - wait, make that, all of - the Republican Party wants to give tax breaks to the rich while balancing the budget on the lower-and-middle-classes."

I'm calling Bullhocky on that. I'm a Republican......If the Bush tax cuts go by the way side in order to get our congress moving......I'd negotiate it. I'm a HUGE supporter of the bi-partisan Simpson-Bowles debt reduction plan. I've been for doing away with the tax cut from get go as long as the moneys are specifically earmarked for paying down our national credit card. If the Democrats just want to spend it away........I'm out.
  7. boone76
    boone76 - September 07, 2012 1:24 am
    SIUGrad711......."Where have all the real Republicans gone?"

I am right here....Thank you for bringing up those topics. I have much respect for Dwight Eisenhower and Senator Goldwater. It is a bit odd that they are now left of where the Republican party is heading......It makes good food for thought.
  8. SIUGrad711
    SIUGrad711 - September 07, 2012 12:03 am

- "We're going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share…[which] sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying 10 percent of his salary - and that's crazy. Do you think the millionaire ought to pay more in taxes than the bus driver, or less?" - Ronald Reagan (the poster-boy for the modern GOP, in a speech from 1985.

All the Republicans preach small government for themselves but try to push their moral agenda on everyone else.

- "You don't need to be straight to fight and die for your country. You just need to shoot straight." - Barry Goldwater (the founder of the modern conservative movement).

- "It's time America realized that there is no gay exemption in the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in the Declaration of Independence." - Barry Goldwater.

As for your comments about God.

- "Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible d@mn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them." - Barry Goldwater.

- "When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party away from the Republican Party, and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye." - Barry Goldwater.

Where have all the real Republicans gone?
  9. nonpartisan
    nonpartisan - September 06, 2012 10:46 pm
    I saw on TV these delegates there actually cry while listening to political speeches.
    You could sell them anything.

10. sadcitizen
    sadcitizen - September 06, 2012 6:34 pm
    I can see how these peeps are excited. Their man is on the podium to hopefully review his 2008 campaign promises:

Here are some of your "Hope and Change" lies from the last election:
    “I promise 100% transparency in my administration.”
    "I'll resign if I don't cut the deficit in half by the end of four years."
    “I’ll have no lobbyists in my administration."
    “I promise NO NEW TAXES on a family making less than $250K a year.”
    “I will allow 5 days of public comment before I sign any bills.”
    “I will remove earmarks from PORK projects before I sign any bill.”
    “I will end Income Tax for seniors making less than $50K a year.”
    “I’ll put the Health Care negotiations on CSPAN so everyone can see who is at the table!”
    "I'll close Guantanamo."
    "I'll unite the people of this great country."

Where's that resignation you promised?
  11. Humastronaut
    Humastronaut - September 06, 2012 5:13 pm
    Where was this puff piece last week?
  12. Bell Smith
    Bell Smith - September 06, 2012 3:57 pm
    The Democrat Party I grew up with was waging an unjust war in Viet Nam and still harboring racist anti-civil rights "Dixiecrats." Both the war mongers and the racists have found a comfortable home in the current Republican Party. Today's Democrats are better off for it.
  13. Chas
    Chas - September 06, 2012 11:22 am
    Sandra Fluke, who wants you, Mr and Mrs Taxpayer to pay for "transgendered" medical, as well as for her 'birth control', is a sample of where the Liberal part of the Dem party is. It aint good, and it aint the Dem party we grew up with. Another part of the reason many will abandon this Dem party is the controversy and chaos when pressure dictated God back on the Dem platfrom. Many if not most, booed God. Where have all the real Dems gone ?
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Follow the Southern Illinoisan