Alcohol, lottery ticket ban on LINK cards rejected by House subcommittee

2013-03-21T12:00:00Z Alcohol, lottery ticket ban on LINK cards rejected by House subcommitteeTHE SOUTHERN The Southern
March 21, 2013 12:00 pm  •

SPRINGFIELD - Is a LINK card really a get out of jail free card?

That's what state Rep. Mike Bost, R-Murphysboro, asserted when he proposed a measure that would ban people from using the public assistance from buying items like lottery tickets and alcohol (and getting out of jail). The proposal was rejected by the Illinois House Public Benefits Subcommittee Thursday in Springfield.

"A LINK card is intended to be used for basic needs, such as food and water, not alcohol and lottery tickets," Bost said. "Local law enforcement has even told me they have encountered an instance where a person has used the cash from their LINK card to bail them out of jail. This is just absurd, a LINK card funded by the taxpayers should not be used to bail people out of jail."

The bill, House Bill 2784, failed to pass out of the committee by a vote of 1 to 2.

LINK cards are funded through the state's Temporary Assistance for Needy Families Program. The average monthly allowance people are given is $242.

Copyright 2015 The Southern. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(48) Comments

1. OLD JOE
    OLD JOE - April 27, 2013 5:13 pm
    MMike I believe your wrong. In my little world, the people I talk to, many on welfare they don't want higher minimum wage. They complain about our lawmakers trying to raising minimum wage. They know raising minimum wage, the store prices goes up to match the pay raise, they gained nothing. Poor people would like to have a better quality of jobs to choose from. Better education, everyone agrees.
    infrastructure? Ask any poor person what they care more about, Lower taxes or infrastructure? I will give 2 to 1 odd. Most lower income people will choose lower taxes.
  2. MMike
    MMike - April 27, 2013 4:38 pm
    People on welfare have rather low voter participation rates. If they did have a large influence on public policy they push for a higher minimum wage, better education, and infrastructure development during dips in the economy. The need for welfare would be much less.

3. StraightTalk
    StraightTalk - April 27, 2013 8:50 am
    I like the way you present your point "useur", a lot of common sense points. Yes, you are correct, what right minded individual would want their tax or personal dollars abused by those who are "users" and not contributors? However, history proves that those who do allow and support these abuses are thinking of where their votes come from and are more concerned with their political careers and agendas than your tax dollars. So, although still looking out for their personal dollars, they sacrifice your tax dollars to causes that common sense would dictate otherwise. Again, you present your argument very well, but so does the person who currently occupies the office of President of the USA and then the forked tongue syndrome kicks in behind closed doors. In closing, any entitlement public program supported by tax dollars should not be abused by the habitual abusers, users and losers of our formerly great nation. God bless what is left of America and to those who continue the struggle to return America to the internationally recognized country it once was.
  4. useurnoggin
    useurnoggin - April 26, 2013 8:47 am
    Believe it or not, most Democrats would and do support sensible restrictions on such things. Of course this should not be allowed. Whatever the reason for its being killed by the subcommittee, it was likely either stupid political games or because there's more to the issue than we're told in this tiny "article", not because Democrats support giving away free money to anyone who wants it. That's a handy, simplistic tool to use to attack your opponents, but it doesn't facilitate any kind of progress being made since its only purpose is to denigrate people you disagree with politically.
  5. MMike
    MMike - April 25, 2013 8:06 pm
    The LINK card is a vehicle for two types of public aid: SNAP (food stamps) and TANF (cash assistance). If the beneficiary only has SNAP then they can only use the LINK card for approved foods. If they have cash benefits then they can use it like any debit card and hence use the cash however they want. If you are against cash assistance fine, just say so. But if we the people, through our elected representatives, wisely or foolishly, decide to have a cash benefit program then recipients can use the money for whatever they want just like it was a paycheck or social security check or tax refund.

Personally I think we should raise the minimum wage, stop this crazy sequester, and fund needed infrastructure to create jobs while reforming SS, disability aid and Medicare/ciad.
  6. StraightTalk
    StraightTalk - April 24, 2013 9:59 am
    Rejected by House Committee? No kidding? Anyone who ever thought that a Democrat controlled legislature or judicial body would ever through a strike at an out of control entitlement must be, well, you know, on that ball team.
  7. boone76
    boone76 - April 23, 2013 11:04 pm
    MMike

Other than your position on minimum wage......your comment was dead on.
  8. Ataxpayer
    Ataxpayer - April 23, 2013 10:56 pm
    @ Abigail. You sound like a well educated, articulate woman. I am assuming you have a very good job and make a lot of money. So much money in fact, that you have lost your since of its value. I propose this, you give my family $242 a month until you learn it's true value!
  9. OLD JOE
    OLD JOE - April 23, 2013 10:43 pm
    @Ataxpayer shame on you for being a snitch! Don't you know link card recipients wants to have fun to. Because of Illinois democrat lawmakers mismanagement of our state, there is no jobs to be got in Illinois. I'm not saying not all link card recipients would want to fill Illinois jobs, if Illinois had any jobs to offer, but it sounds good.
    As far as the adult night clubs, Maybe link card recipients go to those places for on the job training? To become strippers? Bar tenders?
  10. Ataxpayer
    Ataxpayer - April 23, 2013 10:42 pm
    So, just so I've got this correct, people that want to use their Link Card illegitamately would not have obeyed this law? Your opening comment was about gun control. Do you really think that criminals intent on committing violent crimes will obey a stupid gun control law? If so, then you're even dumber than I thought you were - and that's pretty darn dumb!!
  11. MMike
    MMike - April 23, 2013 10:22 pm
    The LINK card is a vehicle for two types of public aid: SNAP (food stamps) and TANF (cash assistance). If the beneficiary only has SNAP then they can only use the LINK card for approved foods. If they have cash benefits then they can use it like any debit card and hence use the cash however they want. If you are against cash assistance fine. Just say so. But if we the people, through our elected representatives, wisely or foolishly, decide to have a cash benefit program then recipients can use the money for whatever they want just like it was a paycheck or social security check or tax refund.

12. Ataxpayer
    Ataxpayer - April 23, 2013 9:32 pm
    THEIRS?? Its not theirs, it's ours!Wonderful attitude to have. You should run for office!!
  13. Ataxpayer
    Ataxpayer - April 23, 2013 9:23 pm
    I am Rep Bost's law enforcement witness to woman using her Link Card (TANF money) to bond out of jail. While in the back seat of my car she called out to other family to get her Link Card and PIN from her boyfriend, retrieve the money, and bond her out of jail. I have also witnessed healthy college age men stopping at a gas station on the way home from an adult night club, purchasing $30 in energy drinks and junk food, get $10 cash, then buy cigarettes!! I spoke to Rep Bost about this, he proposed the bill a short time later. Since it failure I have written a letter and sent it to 8 offices in Springfield. I received a call from Rep Robyn Gabel. She tried to convince me that the money is given to them, that they are free to abuse it, and that they cannot be told what they can and cannot buy. Rep Gabel is wrong, Rep Cassidy is wrong, and LiberalLou you are wrong.
  14. dcostalis
    dcostalis - April 23, 2013 11:46 am
    This post makes me incredibly happy. Congratulations on (working your ass off to) get on your feet! You sound like you're standing stronger than most; hard work does pay off.
  15. dcostalis
    dcostalis - April 23, 2013 11:41 am
    I don't have the links handy, but if you're interested in, you can find plenty on Google about it; the drug testing showed to increase the costs of providing aid, and not decrease it by turning away those who failed. Also, those people you see with a wad of cash and a link card probably don't have a bank account; currency exchange all the way. Don't forget that rent and phones cost money too, that "cash" you see isn't just the spare change they have in their pocket, it's probably all the money they have in the world. Also, if you really believe that people can't get a job because they don't watn to take a drug test, you are very mistaken. ". It's been proven over and over in my family how easy it is to find work.". You are one of the lucky ones, then. However, I'm certain your families location, skillset, intelligence level, and overall capability and age do NOT represent the majority of Americans or even Illinoisans. There are problems in the system, yes, but the ones you listed are not ones that can help give better aid to those who need it, ways to save money in the system, or a even a fair judgement of people.

Of course, there are exceptions. And yes, there are people who sell link cards and drug deals with pockets lined with cash. I guess I'm just fine with a drug dealer getting some lotto tickets and a 40 as long as that means 19 other families get the help they need. That's the biggest thing; The families that need the help would be affected more than the criminals who are breaking the law for selfish reasons.
  16. MMike
    MMike - April 21, 2013 10:33 pm
    It is good to see that at least one conservative is willing to acknowledge that the Obama Recovery is so strong and robust that anyone can find a well paying job.
  17. mjs238
    mjs238 - April 21, 2013 9:25 pm
    Hey everyone I have a idea, get a Fricking job!!!!! Quit having babies so your welfare check goes higher. Are you people idiots? You really don't care where your tax dollars go? No wonder why we live in a state that's the worse in the country, but then again we have a President that loves to give these lazy idiots more, its all about entitlement with you lazy idiots, you people think your entitled to cash and food stamps just cause you have kids, anyone can have kids! But not everyone can take care of them, like you lazy welfare idiots. All of you that fraud the government and waste MY tax dollars should be spaded and neutered like the dogs you are.
  18. HMmmmsez
    HMmmmsez - March 26, 2013 8:27 am
    Us + (mandatory) education = responsible graduates?
  19. Kaite
    Kaite - March 24, 2013 4:51 pm
    All I have to say on the situation is this -- if my tax dollars are going to help those in need, then so be it. But, as far as I'm concerned, people who are on receiving Link cards, Medicaid or any other assistance my tax dollars are paying for need to be drug tested just like I do at my place of employment, and frequently. I agree with what someone said above about if they get busted for something, they lose the right to assistance. Also, I understand there are occasions when people need help, but to stay on assistance for years, and never getting off, receiving Section 8's, housing, etc., is wrong. You cannot tell me there aren't jobs out there. It's been proven over and over in my family how easy it is to find work. Key word is 'work'. It's not fun time. If you need to find 2 jobs to supplement your income, so be it. Sucking off the system incessantly is wrong. I'm sick to death watching people at the grocery store using their Link cards and pulling out a ton of cash, while my family works their rears off to get what little we have. Have some pride people. Quit being losers and get a job, even if it's McDonalds. I truly feel half the people who complain they can't find a decent job is because they cannot pass a drug test. This conversation is due to people on assistance being able to use tax dollars for booze and lottery tickets. Your darn straight this ticks me off. I work a full time job and my husband works 60-75 hours a week. What gives you people sucking off the state the right to abuse what we are paying in tax dollars to throw away on booze and lottery tickets? Get a job.
  20. Diogenes
    Diogenes - March 23, 2013 7:05 pm
    Thanks for reminding us that not everyone in the system abuses it more2me. I hope you continue to do well, sounds like you had a good Granny.
  21. more2me
    more2me - March 23, 2013 3:42 pm
    TANAF is not free money trust and believe I repaid this state every last dime of they money back!!!! And no its not a hand out I got my sick butt up and sat in every"class" to receive it. My case worker broke it down to me that this was not a hand out rather a loan because the state was going to get their money back and that was fine by me as long as I was able to deliver a healthy baby and get back on my feet. 6 months later i was able to go back to work and get my child support started (through) DHS and what did they do sent me $10.00 out of my $100 court ordered child support. Did I get mad and raise hell? NOPE because I felt it was fair. I was given and hand of cards and i played them to the best of my ability. I wouldn't go back and change a thing. 6 years later am doing so much better. Own my home and Car daughter is healthy. Most of all I I look back and say Dang my granny was right when she said don't judge ppl because you never know where you going until you get there. Not all people abuse the system so don't put me in your statics because you don't know my story or my struggle.
  22. HMmmmsez
    HMmmmsez - March 23, 2013 10:01 am
    Social inequities abound here and elsewhere. Whether it has ta do with this that or the other. If only everyone of us had the skill to live by the later part of the Prayer of Serenity. None of us would be posting here. Notice I said the latter part of said prayer. That was due my knowing full well prayer doesn't work i e the on going fiasco's around the world every church in town prays would end sooner rather than later, and turns out. It ain't happening.
  23. shoestring
    shoestring - March 22, 2013 8:10 pm
    @military - "1 percent of the americans are in the military" - wow, military, you get around!
  24. military
    military - March 22, 2013 7:18 pm
    federal government estimates 10.5 percent of welfare spending is consumed by fraud, which he says translates to $750 million annually in Illinois. He also cited stories from police officers, grocery store workers and constituents about Link card recipients trading money on the cards for drugs.
  25. military
    military - March 22, 2013 7:18 pm
    The only people that deserve any type of assistance is the military. Only 1 percent of the americans are in the military. Let them join adn get out of poverty
  26. kelstan
    kelstan - March 22, 2013 3:47 pm
    Amen, sherbet58!!
  27. kelstan
    kelstan - March 22, 2013 3:47 pm
    Thank you for your intelligent post, Abigail. Most posts on here are just people trying to sound all important when they really have no idea what they are even talking about. I appreciate your time to place a quality comment in this mess of unintelligence!!
  28. Fatkat
    Fatkat - March 22, 2013 2:32 pm
    If your on the dole you should not be able to buy booze and strippers with the card. Go out and sell some drugs for your fun money!
  29. CLG4
    CLG4 - March 22, 2013 9:19 am
    I don't see why people are arguing about this. The link card is just an extension of the leadership in the legislature of Illinois. Any one who holds a link card can spend it any way they like, it does not matter what the people that gave the money thinks. Remember giving away money is what politicians do for the HOPE of votes, it's all the better when it is not their money.
  30. dsnow
    dsnow - March 22, 2013 8:53 am
    Let me first say that I am a link card recipient, and the dollar amount I have available to me to spend can only be used to buy unprepared food at a grocery store. you cannot buy cooked food from the store only food that requires cooking at home. which means when you are at the store running short of time and you see that already cooked chicken there you have to pass on it. my link card does not allow to purchase alcohol tobacco or toilet paper or toothpaste. I agree that you should not have the ability to purchase luxuries like alcohol and so forth but toilet paper toothpaste over the counter medicine should be allowed. perhaps the people abusing the system are doing so with the cash potion of their link card which I am not familiar with as I don't have any cash linked to said card. So I don't agree with a total ban but within reason is fine by me.
  31. OLD JOE
    OLD JOE - March 22, 2013 7:59 am
    Several year ago I saw a pie chart showing that 1% of our tax dollar went to the american welfare system.
    Now that Obama is president, the american welfare system, tax dollar pie chart is grouped in with other things showing 12%.

I guess I really don't care were out tax dollars go. Our liberal political system is not going to change even if I did care. To many votes would be lost.

That is why we need Illegals, to do the jobs healthy american's won't do. Because the link card is easier to survive on than working.
    I just feel sorry for the kids, when parents cheat kids out of their portion of the link card buying booze, lottery tickets, drugs and other non essential crap.
  32. samspade597
    samspade597 - March 22, 2013 1:32 am
    Haha, I love the quote about using the card to get out of jail.... yes, LINK holders are law breaking, lazy, despicable citizens. What a shameless attempt to appeal to easily manipulated voters. Yes, LINK cards are abused and usage is sometimes sold for cash. The poor abuse the system just as the rich do. The rich use their savings from tax loop holes, agricultural subsidies and the benefits of cronyism to spend on booze and everything else. That being said, I believe the LINK card should be limited to food. However, the get out of jail example is absolutely laughable. The dumbing down of America continues.
  33. Ace Call
    Ace Call - March 21, 2013 9:20 pm
    Credit cards can be sku specific. This would be an easy fix. There are cards in the prvate sector for FSA accounts that limit purchases only to item that are FDA tax protected

Here is another idea...cut off the non US citizens (illegas) you are recieving link cards and hud funding.
  34. AllergicToKool-Aid
    AllergicToKool-Aid - March 21, 2013 8:30 pm
    3 members.....I'm sure we could guess how they voted.

Public Benefits Subcommittee - Members
    98th General Assembly

Representative Kelly M. Cassidy (D)
    14th District
    Email: repcassidy@gmail.com

Springfield Office:
    265-S Stratton Office Building
    Springfield, IL 62706
    (217) 782-8088
    (217) 782-6592 FAX

District Office:
    5533 North Broadway
    Chicago, IL 60640
    (773) 784-2002
    (773) 784-2060 FAX

Representative Robyn Gabel (D)
    18th District
    Email: staterepgabel@robyngabel.com

Springfield Office:
    248-W Stratton Office Building
    Springfield, IL 62706
    (217) 782-8052
    (217) 558-4553 FAX

District Office:
    820 Davis Street
    Suite 103
    Evanston, IL 60201
    (847) 424-9898
    (847) 424-9828 FAX

Representative Timothy L. Schmitz (R)
    65th District

Suite D
    Geneva, IL 60134
    (630) 845-9590
    (630) 845-9592 FAX

35. Liberal Lou
    Liberal Lou - March 21, 2013 8:04 pm
    Conservative hypocrites. You scream bloody murder when the government wants to regulate guns, you abhor any type of government regulations on businesses and private citizens, but you're all for regulating other people's personal lives - especially people who aren't conservative pigs.

Here's a question for you. What do you hope to accomplish by regulating how link cards are used? From what I've read, this bill would penalize businesses who accepted Link cards for the non-food items in question. Do you hope to punish small businesses for trying to make a profit? Do you really believe that people who want to use Link cards for illegitimate purposes will be stopped by this stupid law? If so, then you're even dumber than I thought you were - and that's pretty darn dumb!
  36. dixietrucker
    dixietrucker - March 21, 2013 4:58 pm
    If a person wishes to have total control over how he or she might choose to spend the money they have available to them, then they need to do something productive to earn the money. As long as other people (tax payers, for example) are providing "assistance" to an individual, then the people with the money have the absolute right to place certain stipulations on how THEIR money should be spent by the recipient.

If you are receiving financial assistance, you need to eliminate luxuries from your life. No drinking. No smoking. No "recreational" drugs. No lottery tickets. No big screen TV. No fancy new cars. No expensive clothes. It irks me to no end to see welfare recipients living better than the working class who pays for it all.

If you want to sit around with your hand out living off other people's money, don't complain when those other people start placing limitations on how you can spend their money. If you don't like it, get a job and support yourself.
  37. southerngirl
    southerngirl - March 21, 2013 4:14 pm
    Why are there cash benefits anyway? We pay for their housing, food and medical. Why do they need cash benefits?
  38. Charlie Schmidt
    Charlie Schmidt - March 21, 2013 3:57 pm
    Would it be too much to expect from the Southern to report the names of the commitee members and their votes?
  39. Misty2011
    Misty2011 - March 21, 2013 3:48 pm
    My take on that is you are probably right. I didn't say they could buy whatever they wanted. I said it was for FOOD to provide for their family. Apparently you have never sat looking at an empty cupboard with children sitting there looking at you wanting something to eat. Don't get me wrong -- I have never been on link or qualified for any type of assistance. I've always been the one paying in the taxes so someone else could get it. But like I said, I don't mind helping those who have worked and suddenly showed up to work just to be told go home your job has been cut.
  40. Leaningright
    Leaningright - March 21, 2013 3:35 pm
    And maybe those people you are referring to got their hours cut due to Obamacare. What is your take on that. Companies reducing hours on employees to 29 to stop the mandated healthcare. It is sad, but it is happening. So now, no healthcare, not enough hours to work, get a LINK card and buy whatever you want. Our government at work.
  41. cchs98
    cchs98 - March 21, 2013 3:22 pm
    I can't believe the comments I've seen so far. So alcohol, lotto and bail money is okay for people to use with YOUR tax money???? I have a job, so does my wife. We both work our azz's off to provide for our family which includes two children. I wish I had the luxury of purchasing alcohol or lotto tickets on someone else dime but I don't. My money pays for my house, groceries, daycare, clothes and other every day living necessities, not alcohol or lotto! How dare these people use my hard earned money for things like this. In fact, I'd say if you get arrested while on public aid, then it gets cut completely. Maybe that will teach these idiots to appreciate the help they're getting FOR FREE rather than squander it away on booze and freaking lotto! I can't believe there is people who oppose this issue! What is wrong with you people?
  42. Misty2011
    Misty2011 - March 21, 2013 3:20 pm
    Link cards are to help supply food. That's it! People who have link cards are not necessarily lazy people. There are alot of people who are unemployed who would rather work but can't find a job and need the help to provide for their family. Anybody can experience hard times not caused by themself. I don't mind helping those kind of people. However, the ones that have never worked a day in their life and have made it a generational thing and feel it is owed to them is a different story. As for working people (such as Abigail suggested) getting a link card, well I guess it just depends on who you are. I know individuals who are trying to work but due to lack of hours are struggling and have been told they don't qualify.
  43. mainman
    mainman - March 21, 2013 3:06 pm
    If the " LINK " card were restricted a certain group of politicians might lose votes !

I never even imagined this was going on in the first place !!

Give a man a fish or teach him " HOW " to fish ???

I hope I don't see the day when someone in front of me pulls out a link card to pay for booze or lottery tickets !!!!
  44. JItterBug
    JItterBug - March 21, 2013 2:46 pm
    I have no defense for this.

Booze and lottery tickets are a luxury.

I am for helping out the needy but this is way over the line.

At some point to have to you gotta tell someone they just have to make due with what they have. You can't expect the public to pick up the tab for everything.

And I'm worried about what Abigall is talking about gambling and alcohol are vices, haircuts are not. Very clear difference.

If you are on minium wage. Use the paycheck to pay for beer and what not. Link cards are for necessities.

45. Leaningright
    Leaningright - March 21, 2013 2:12 pm
    Abigail, Abigail, Abigail, you need help. Letting the lazy use the LINK card for whatever they want is so wrong. It is for necessities, that's it. Using it for lottery, bail, etc are so wrong. That is my money they are wasting. If someone is found using a LINK card for anything other than food, they should loose the help. They should also be drug tested every month before getting the card. Don't even get me started on minimum wage. It isn't or never was designed for sustaining a family. Raising minimum wage only raises prices on everything else. LINK cards are regularly sold or traded to other people to give the lazy money to spend on whatever they want. That is the reason putting pictures on the cards was suggested. You may not like my term lazy, but really, that is what it is all about. People who make a living off mooching off us taxpayers, or those too lazy to prepare themselves properly early in life to gain meaningful employment, or those who are professional baby makers. Keep GIVING them money they didn't earn and they will continue their practices.
  46. Bender
    Bender - March 21, 2013 1:24 pm
    I do care, sherbet. If people need bail money, lottery tickets or booze, get it from someone other than me and my tax dollars. No wonder this state is broke.
  47. Abigail
    Abigail - March 21, 2013 12:57 pm
    I understand the impulse to restrict spending of Link money, however the overall tone of the proposal suggests that people who are in need of cash assistance are necessarily in need of regulation or supervision. First, $242 is a very small amount of assistance. This might pay one bill, or reduce the impact of daycare expenses or gas. No one is getting rich receiving this money, and no one is going broke providing. Secondly, where does this end? Alcohol and lottery tickets are easy targets, but what about buying magazines, or getting a haircut? Buying party supplies for a child's birthday? Nearly all of our normal day to day expenses or financial decisions outside of rent or bills (and even then, what about a cell phone or cable bill? How big or small a house does one need?) could be colored in a way that makes it seem as though money is being spent where it should not be. The bottom line is that to qualify you need to be working or going to school, which takes away the vilification of the recipients as lazy or shiftless. You also have to be making such a small amount that your expenses cannot be met. The responsibility lies in those who set the minimum wage at a level so low that one cannot survive on it without supplementing with public aid. If wages were where they need to be, those receiving public aid would no longer need it, and could spend their earnings on whatever they liked, including lottery tickets and alcohol. I am a bit disappointed that this article doesn't reveal any (if there were any) specifics that went into creating this proposal. Is there any statistical evidence (not anecdotal) supporting the need to restrict such choices in recipients? Mike Bost has only a singular example of a person using their Link to get bailed out of jail, and besides that I see no cited problem. If you get arrested and have no money, why shouldn't you use the resources you have available to rectify the situation? Or perhaps Bost would like to go back to the public workhouses and poor houses in order to contain and profit off of the unwashed masses.
  48. sherbet58
    sherbet58 - March 21, 2013 12:35 pm
    For Pete's sake! We can't follow everybody around 24/7 managing their money or LINK funds for them. So, someone blew theirs on bail. I don't care!
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Lawmaker plan to expand gambling could bring casino to Cartverville

Lawmaker plan to expand gambling could bring casino to Cartverville

SPRINGFIELD — A Southern Illinois winery and an undisclosed location in Decatur have become part of the annual gambling expansion conversation… Updated: 6:05 pm

1 hour ago Related (0)
Decision to decriminalize pot in Illinois in Rauner's hands

Decision to decriminalize pot in Illinois in Rauner's hands

SPRINGFIELD — Signing a bill to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana would be, some legislators say, "low-hanging fruit" for Gov. Bruce Ra… Updated: 5:36 pm

5 hours ago Photos

Photos

Related (0)

Trickle of marijuana patients reveals stigma, supporters say

CHICAGO — Supporters of Illinois' medical marijuana program are trying to inspire interest among patients by hosting an educational event, eve…

6 hours ago(0)

Nominations being accepted for Illinois Outdoors Hall of Fame

SPRINGFIELD — Do you know someone who's an outstanding outdoorsman? Illinois is offering you a chance to immortalize that person.

6 hours ago Related (0)

Illinois House to vote on changes to workers' compensation

SPRINGFIELD — Democratic Speaker Michael Madigan said the Illinois House will consider changes to the state's workers' compensation insurance … Updated: 5:25 pm

6 hours ago(0)
Union launching its own campaign for contract

Union launching its own campaign for contract

SPRINGFIELD — With negotiations on a new labor contract heading into its final month, the state's largest employee union is poised to take its… Updated: 4:45 pm

12 hours ago Related (3)

City Hall renovation to claim historic Belleville building

BELLEVILLE — A historic downtown Belleville building is scheduled for demolition as part of a renovation to improve public access to City Hall. Updated: 5:26 pm

15 hours ago(0)
Review of Rauner's threatened closures takes time

Review of Rauner's threatened closures takes time

SPRINGFIELD — If Gov. Bruce Rauner wants to make good on his threat to close a prison work camp in Southern Illinois, state museums and up to …

June 02, 2015 6:38 pm Related (3)
Rauner threatens to shutter prisons, toll road project

Rauner threatens to shutter prisons, toll road project

SPRINGFIELD -- Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner said Tuesday he will close a prison work camp, shutter up to two juvenile detention centers and susp…

June 02, 2015 4:55 pm(1)
Judge delays Hastert's arraignment in hush-money case

Judge delays Hastert's arraignment in hush-money case

CHICAGO — A federal judge on Tuesday delayed former U.S. House Speaker Dennis Hastert's first court appearance until next week following his i…

June 02, 2015 12:10 pm Related (0)
Follow the Southern Illinoisan

Pinboard

Special Sections

Southern Business Journal

Southern Business Journal

CEO program: Southern Illinois leaders excited to get idea started.

June 02, 2015 8:30 am(0)