Young brothers drown in pool

2012-08-13T01:00:00Z 2013-07-29T12:28:32Z Young brothers drown in poolThe Southern The Southern
August 13, 2012 1:00 am  •

Two boys died Saturday in rural Carbondale in an apparent drowning.

The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office responded to a 911 call reporting a possible drowning in a private pool at 7:24 p.m. Saturday at a residence on Dogwood Road.

Police said the investigation thus far indicates that two brothers from Hopkinsville, Ky., Alick Jentrey Poindexter Monson, 12, and Lewis Jecquary Monson, 14, were swimming unsupervised in a pool. An adult discovered both boys unresponsive at the bottom of the pool; a family member pulled the boys out and performed CPR until paramedics arrived.

The victims were taken to Memorial Hospital of Carbondale, where they were pronounced dead.

The sheriff’s office said the case is being investigated as an accidental drowning, and autopsies were scheduled for Sunday. Jackson County Coroner Thomas Kupferer said Sunday no further information was available on the accident, and the case is still under investigation.

The sheriff’s office is being assisted with the investigation by the coroner’s office, the Illinois State Police Crime Scene Services Unit and the Department of Children and Family Services.

Copyright 2015 The Southern. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(19) Comments

1. louismagoois
    louismagoois - August 14, 2012 8:32 am
    Respect? God may be fictitious but a lot of these semi educated, willfully ignorant folks actually believe in the biblical hoax. Try to show THEM some respect by not taking the name of their fantasy in vain!!
  2. akcmark
    akcmark - August 13, 2012 11:10 pm

wtf? show some respect. two children died. wtf is wrong with you people?

3. singlemalt
    singlemalt - August 13, 2012 8:41 pm
    Illinois should mandate anyone owning or planning to own a swimming pool obtain (purchase) a POID card. This would ensure only responsible people would purchase and use these things.
  4. louismagoois
    louismagoois - August 13, 2012 2:04 pm
    Skip - thanks for publicly rubbing the nose of an arrogant putz in his own misinformation.
  5. louismagoois
    louismagoois - August 13, 2012 1:59 pm
    Oooh Mickeeeee - So you're smarter than everyone but still stupid enough to believe that your prayers are of any use? Your idiotic prayers are self serving and if you're too blind to see that then you're not very smart at all. haha And while we're on the subject of your pea brain: "Prayers go out"?? Are you reporting on what others are doing or are we to assume, as I did, that you are referring to your prayers and were just too lazy to specify? Or is that just some hip contraction that all the kids have adopted, like "props"? Tell me ooh giant brained Mickee, enlighten me for I posess only the brain of a 5th grader!! hahaha - arrogant putz again!
  6. nonpartisan
    nonpartisan - August 13, 2012 12:21 pm
    SkipTindle - I'm sure Obama administration is working on a ban of private, residential swimming pools. Only government supervised recreation will be allowed :-)
  7. nonpartisan
    nonpartisan - August 13, 2012 12:14 pm
    Amen.

When we were 10 - 12, we were swimming unsupervised from one side of a lake to another, and back. We would simply say - Mom, we are going swimming, and take off.
    But by then, we all have passed swimming courses and have gotten our certificates.
  8. MMike
    MMike - August 13, 2012 12:12 pm
    Skip: The last sentence in my post was not about children.

louis: My last sentence was just additional information for context. It had nothing to do with child safety. It was is a paragraph of its own because it was not a direct reply to your point.

Your point about pool safety is unrelated to gun safety. Both a dangerous. So what? Comparing the deaths from the two would only be useful if one had to choose between having a pool or having a gun. But they are separate decisions. In each case one should take all the risks and benefits into account.
  9. MickeeD
    MickeeD - August 13, 2012 12:10 pm
    I found that rather odd as well. Something does not add up. Prayers go out to their families.
  10. SkipTindle
    SkipTindle - August 13, 2012 11:55 am
    Ummm no? Its people like you who really much things up :P
    •From 2005-2009, there were an average of 3,533 fatal unintentional drownings (non-boating related) annually in the United States — about ten deaths per day. An additional 347 people died each year from drowning in boating-related incidents.
    Fatal firearms accidents per year...1,100 where did you get 10X as many its people like you who get rights taken from people so you can feel all warm and fuzzy and safe. Feel free to take yourself off the internet and not spread your liberal lies PLEASE!
  11. louismagoois
    louismagoois - August 13, 2012 10:49 am
    Mickyd would have gotten an A+ in thermodynamics. He's way smarter than anyone else here, just ask him.
  12. louismagoois
    louismagoois - August 13, 2012 10:40 am
    so more govt oversight is needed?
  13. louismagoois
    louismagoois - August 13, 2012 10:39 am
    "Overall there are ten times as many firearms deaths as drowning deaths" - but I was referring to children dying. Throwing in the qualifier "overall" changes everything and doesn't make you right. Kids deaths are what I was referring to as any idiot can see. Well. most idiots; MMike. You capriciously say "The point is", but the point isn't. You also say "people certainly should be aware of the risks of pools to their child before deciding if they want one." and I agree with you on this, just decide not to have kids and the pool makes sense. Less kids, more pools is MMike's point.
  14. Diogenes
    Diogenes - August 13, 2012 9:45 am
    My parents did the same thing to me. I earned my first D in college by taking a swimming class. (Thermodynamics also kicked my butt). Although I was a dismal student my instructor commended me for trying so hard in spite of my fear of water. I overcame the fear and learned to swim along with my children and I was able to enjoy the water with them as they grew up.

Swimming lessons are a great gift we can give our young ones. We also need to supervise them and instill a respect for things that can harm them. We don't know what happened to these two youngsters but we should keep those who loved them in our thoughts and prayers.
  15. MMike
    MMike - August 13, 2012 9:44 am
    Non sequitur. The point is many people who buy handguns are doing so to protect their families when in fact they are increasing the risk of death or injury to their family members. But people certainly should be aware of the risks of pools to their child before deciding if they want one.

BTW pool deaths are highest among ages 0-4 and then decrease rapidly. For gun deaths the risk is higher during adolescence.

Overall there are ten times as many firearms deaths as drowning deaths. Your pool is not going to kill me. Your gun might.
  16. BlueDog74
    BlueDog74 - August 13, 2012 9:24 am
    Parents, teach your children to swim or send them to swimming lessons. I love my mother, but her fear of water was so great, that she never allowed my sister and me to go near water ourselves. It was 20 years before I finally learned how to halfway swim (although I do good to simply stay afloat).

I don’t have kids, but if I ever do, swim lessons will be an important part of their early education. I feel for this family, but hope that lessons can be learned from their tragedy.
  17. thirsten
    thirsten - August 13, 2012 8:46 am
    After reading the title to this article I expected these boys to be much younger. I find it really odd that they were 12 and 14.
  18. louismagoois
    louismagoois - August 13, 2012 8:04 am
    here's a reality check for all the gun haters out there: more kids die in swimming pools than die from firearms in the home.
  19. Governor Number 40892-424
    Governor Number 40892-424 - August 13, 2012 8:00 am
    A very sad story. In Marion there are many above-ground pools that do not meet city code. The laxness of enforcing this ordinance, too, will eventually lead to a preventable tragedy.
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Follow the Southern Illinoisan