NORMAL — Matt Hein scored six points in overtime as Illinois State held off Southern Illinois, 76-68, in a Missouri Valley Conference basketball game before a Redbird Arena crowd of 4,948.

Freshman Elijah Clarance scored a season-high 15 points to lead ISU to its fourth straight win. William Tinsley sank four 3-pointers and scored a career-high 14 points while junior center David Ndiaye added 13, also a career high, as ISU improved to 14-11 overall.

The Redbirds moved into a second-place tie in the Valley with SIU at 8-5, two games behind Loyola.

SIU (16-9) had its five-game winning streak snapped and lost its 11th straight game at Redbird Arena. The Salukis were paced by Kavion Pippen, Armon Fletcher and Sean Lloyd with 14 points each.

Ndiaye split a pair of free throws to start overtime before Hein's 3-pointer gave ISU a 68-64 lead with 3:05 left. Lloyd's driving basket cut the gap to 68-66 before Clarance made one of two at the line.

Aaron Cook missed two free throws for the second time in overtime for the Salukis. Hein was fouled outside the arc by Cook with 49.7 seconds left and sank all three attempts. SIU didn't get closer than four the rest of the way.

ISU played without Keyshawn Evans because of a bone bruise on his knee. The Redbirds might have lost another starter when Phil Fayne had to be helped off the court with 3:04 left with an apparent left ankle injury.

An eight-point outburst by Clarance, which included a left-handed slam on the break, gave the Redbirds a 50-41 lead. SIU recovered with a 7-0 run and closed within 55-54 on Marcus Bartley's 3-pointer with 7:26 left.

SIU took its first lead since early in the first half on Tyler Smithpeters' 3-pointer to go ahead, 57-56, with 5:14 left. ISU reclaimed the lead at 61-59 on Tinsley's 3-pointer with 3:58 left before the Salukis took a 62-61 lead with 2:10 left.

Taylor Bruninga's three-point play tied the game at 64-all with 34.8 seconds left. SIU worked the clock down, but Smithpeters shot an air-ball on a long 3-point attempt with 4.8 seconds left to give ISU one more chance.

Clarance turned the ball over, but Cook's long attempt just inside the halfcourt line hit the backboard and bounced away to force overtime.

Tinsley sank his first 3-pointer with 15:15 left in the first half to give ISU a 7-6 lead, and the Redbirds never trailed the rest of the half.

Yarbrough's three-point play put ISU ahead, 24-17, with 7:57 left. But when Fayne picked up his second foul with 3:44 left, the Salukis took advantage. Pippen's short bank shot tied the game at 36-all before Clarance's two free throws with 31 seconds left gave the Redbirds a two-point halftime lead.

The Redbirds got 21 points from their bench in the first half and shot 48.3 percent, going 6 of 14 from distance, while gaining a 19-11 rebounding advantage. SIU shot 46.4 percent from the field, sinking 4 of 9 3-pointers, as Lloyd led the way for the Salukis with 10 points.

ISU travels to face Valparaiso at 3 p.m. Sunday while SIU hosts Bradley at 2 p.m.

Jim Benson writes for the Bloomington Pantagraph, a Lee Enterprises sister publication of The Southern.


Load comments