COLUMBIA — Aaron Grohmann’s goal with 1:29 remaining gave Gibault Catholic a 1-0 win over Carbondale at the Columbia 2A boys soccer sectional semifinal on Tuesday.

"We told our guys coming into the game it was going to be 1-0, 2-1, or 3-2," said Carbondale coach Jeff Hansen. "Obviously, we wanted it to be our way, but we knew this was going to be a one-goal game."

Gibault (15-6-3) will face the winner of Wednesday’s semifinal between Marion and Triad on Friday at 6 p.m. Carbondale finished the season with a 17-6-1 record.

"Down to the wire," said Gibault coach Darryn Haudrich. "It was one of those emotional games that was a roller coaster for players as it was for the coaches. It’s not how you draw it up in those dramatic wins like this, but it's good to on this side of it."

With the clock running down, Gibault forced two corner kicks in the last two minutes, taking the first from the right side, which resulted in no shot, but the Hawks maintained possession.

"The back to back corner kicks are tough," Hansen said. "If we could get one of those out and come out with some possession, then maybe we can create a chance, or we’re looking at overtime. But we couldn’t get out and it resulted in their goal. We do the same play, and when the ball clears, a lot of guys turn to look for the ball, and you stop marking up at that point and somebody gets loose. And that’s exactly what happened."

Karson Huels forced the second corner kick on the left side and took it himself. His kick found Logan Doerr to the right of Terrier goalkeeper Braulio Ostos. Doerr headed it back to Grohmann, who headed it past Ostos as he tried to get back to make the save.

Two minutes earlier, Noah Guyton had a break on the right side of the goal, but collided with a defender inside the 18-yard box and the ball rolled out of bounds, leaving the Terriers without a shot.

The first serious scoring opportunity came at the 12:06 mark of the second half when Johnny Adams was left alone in front of the Terrier net, but his shot missed the right post by two feet. Less than a minute later, Huels was open in the same spot, but his shot sailed over the crossbar.

Waterloo then missed a wide open net when Huels’ shot from the right side went high and wide. A minute later Doerr got behind a Terrier defender, but Ostos came out of the net and beat him to the ball.

With 8:48 remaining in regulation time, Waterloo forced a right corner kick and got a shot off the kick, but Ostos made a diving save and cleared the ball into the left corner.

Carbondale took the opening kick and immediately passed the ball near the Hawks goal, forcing a throw in, but the Gibault defense held, taking possession and going on the attack sending the ball down into the Terriers end.

Waterloo seemed to score on a header by Huels, but the play had been called out of bounds a second before erasing the goal.

The next 24 minutes went back and forth, until Adam Stearns was left unmarked 25 yards in the front of the net, but his weak shot was easily stopped by Ostos.

Four and a half minutes later, Huels found himself open near the same spot, but Ostos was able to make the save on his hard shot. With four minutes left, Gibault had a free kick on right hash 29 yards out. Ryan Swindle took the kick dead on, but Ostos again made the save.

With a minute left, Carbondale came right back with Guyton dribbling the ball into the right corner, but his bad angle shot was caught by Connor Olson near the right post.


Load comments