CARBONDALE — Noah Guyton scored his first career hat trick and the Carbondale defense held Marion to one goal in a very physical game to snap a 14-game winless streak that dated back to 2011 with a 4-1 win in a South Seven Conference boys soccer game on Thursday.

“This week was a big week for us that is going to tell us where we are as a team,” said Carbondale coach Jeff Hansen. “I told our kids, if you don’t believe you can do something special, I think you’re crazy. They believed and then we got a big win over Cape Notre Dame Tuesday and now a bigger win over Marion. We seem to be getting better at certain things. I really like this group.”

Carbondale (12-3, 3-1 South Seven) won its fourth game in a row while Marion (5-7-2, 0-3 South Seven) lost its second straight game.

“We’ll give up a goal to tie the score and this team still feels like they’re ok,” Hansen said. “We now have a home game against Centralia on Monday and with this win, we could nail down the top seed at the regional we are hosting.”

The last time the Terriers had beat the Wildcats was when it swept the season series during the 2011 season. The winless streak started when the Wildcats eliminated the Terriers in the regional finals that season by a 3-0 score.

“I certainly didn’t think I was going to score three goals when I got up this morning,” Guyton said. “We haven’t beat Marion any of the years I’ve been here and I’m a junior and I really wanted to beat them. So it as great to get the win and, especially, the hat trick.”

“This was a typical knock-down-drag-out physical Carbondale-Marion soccer game,” said Marion coach Rob Underwood. “Our boys played well, but were missing some players because of injuries and one who was sitting out a red card, so with the pressure Carbondale was putting on us in the second half, the boys were gassed at the end.”

The Terriers took the early lead at the 7:50 mark when Guyton and James Oberg teamed up for a great give-and-go, with Guyton taking a pass while streaking down the right side. Marion goalkeeper Cameron Dodds came out to challenge the outside midfielder, but Guyton pushed the ball past him before he could get close enough.

“Me and James have been playing together forever and we like to get those 1-2’s going and it worked out perfectly,” Guyton said.

Five minutes and five seconds, later Tyson Stoecklin scored his team-leading 16th goal on a header off a crossing pass from Kameron Dover to tie the score with 27:05 left in the first half.

Three minutes later, Marion had a good scoring chance when Josh Szidik got off a great shot, but Terrier keeper Braulio Ostos had to stretch to his left to make the initial save and then cover up when the ball came loose.

With 12:05 remaining before halftime Carbondale forced a corner kick. Matthias Schurz sent a perfect kick to the front of the net where Guyton headed it in for what proved to be the game-winning goal.

With 37 seconds left in the first half, Stoecklin got free in front of the net, but his shot sailed wide to the left. Stoecklin had another chance to tie the score at the 2:06 mark of the second half, but Ostos was able to stop his shot.

Carbondale then began to put pressure on the Marion defense, but Dodds made saves on Oberg 1:34 later and again on a shot by Josh Payne 1:11 after that.

Carbondale was then called for a foul just outside the goal box, giving Marion an indirect kick, but the resulting shot missed by a good margin to the left. Dodds then made two more saves on shots by Carbondale’s leading scorer Sajad Nasser over the next 10 minutes.

With 17:01 remaining in the game, Oberg took a pass from Schurz and in one motion turned and surprised Dodds with a shot into the right corner of the net for his ninth goal of the season. Guyton then notched his third goal and fifth of the season with 7:04 remaining off a rebound.

Marion had three more chances to cut into the lead in the final minutes. With 2:18 left, Stoecklin suddenly found himself behind the defense. Ostos came out and was in retreat when Stoecklin took his shot, but he missed a open net wide to the left.

With 30 seconds, remaining Marion rushed the net and got off two shots, but Ostos made back-to-back saves.


Load comments