Kate Poulos is a native of Carbondale. She left after high school, thinking that she would never come back! After a while, she realized that Southern Illinois is a gem and moved back with her husband, Steve Gough. They own Little River Research and Design. She is a pharmacist.
1. What is your current state of mind? Happy -- Sping is here!
2. What is your favorite avocation? Right now, it is studying French and being a Francophile. And planning a trip to Provence.
3. Which living person do you most admire? My husband, Steve Gough. He invented several scientific river models and created a worldwide market. He is also an awesome spouse: kind, evolved, funny, smart.
4. Who is your favorite fictional hero? Thurber’s Walter Mitty and Michael Keaton’s Beetlejuice.
5. Who are your real-life heroes? Thich Nhat Hahn, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Mahatma Gandhi.
6. What is your most treasured possession? My commuter bicycle!
7. When and where were you happiest? In the present moment.
8. What is your most obvious characteristic? Frizzy hair.
9. What is the trait you most dislike in yourself? Thinking that the glass is half empty.
10. What is the treat you most dislike in others? Lack of introspection.
11. What is your greatest extravagance? Reading all day long.
12. What is your favorite journey? The middle-age journey of self-discovery and transformation.
13. Which words or phrases do you most overuse? “I know.”
14. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? Worrying over people not liking me.
15. What do you consider your greatest achievement? I don’t think I have had one.
16. What is it you most dislike? Violence.
17. What do you value most in your friends? Being real.
18. If you were to die and come back as a person or an animal, what do you think it would be? A German Shepherd.
19. What is your personal motto? May all beings be happy.
20. Who has been the greatest influence on you? My parents, who showed me how to love what you do and to care about other people.