Born and raised in Santa Fe New Mexico, Ted Gutierrez grew up in two households; his mom’s during the week and his dad’s on the weekends. He played sports all through life and eventually got into fitness and graduated from the University of New Mexico with a degree in Exercise Science.
Ted moved to San Diego two weeks after graduation and met his future wife, Jennifer, in 2001. They have a son named Reese. Ted earned his MBA from the University of Redlands in 2004 and got married in 2006. Ted and Jennifer moved to Carbondale in 2011 and he has been fortunate to gain acceptance into several communities where he has built some fantastic relationships.
Ted got involved in the business communities, particularly in Marion and Carbondale, and works at the Office of Economic and Regional Development (The Business Incubator) at SIU. He attends several events in the region to support businesses and causes and volunteers when he can. Most recently, he is proud to have been selected to represent Southern Illinois along with three others in the Delta Regional Authority/Delta Leadership Institute’s Executive Academy for 2018-19. Currently, his son, Reese, lives in San Diego and is exploring entrepreneurship. Ted and Jennifer have a beautiful home in Carbondale with three dogs, Maple, Cali and Bella, and one cat named Cat.
1. What is your current state of mind? I would compare my state of mind to a “calm before the storm”. I feel 2019 is going to be the storm that brings lots of changes.
2. What is your favorite avocation/hobby? Two favorite hobbies; I love to play golf (even though I’m horrible at it) and riding motorcycles, any kind!
3. If you could go back in time 1,000 years, what year would you visit and why? If I went back 1,000 years then I would be in 1018 (laughing). However, if I could choose any timeframe in the past I think I would choose the time of Billy the Kid and the Wild West. I’ve always wondered what it would be like to live in those times.
4. What is your most treasured possession? My most treasured possession is my statue of St. Francis of Assisi, it belonged to my Grandma Francis.
5. If you could rid the world of one disease what would it be? Cancer (all Cancer).
6. What is your most obvious characteristic? My most obvious characteristic is my humor and quick wit (some would say sarcasm).
7. Which words or phrases do you over-use most? I say “fantastic” a lot.
8. If you were to die and come back as a person or animal, what do you think it would be? Without a doubt a Bald Eagle.
9. What is one thing you refuse to share? I absolutely won’t share pillows.
10. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why? My one superpower would be time-travel to right the wrongs of society and to buy stock in Apple and Microsoft (laughing).
11. What song would you sing for your American Idol audition? Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice
12. If you could start a collection of one kind of item, what would it be? Motorcycles (both street motorcycles and dirt bikes).
13. If you were given the chance to run for mayor of your city, would you take it? Probably (if it paid more — laughing).
14. What is your favorite smell? Puppies and babies (sorry that is two answers, but in that order).
15. What is the last book you read? “Lucky Bastard” by Joe Buck.
16. What was your favorite color of Crayola crayon growing up? My favorite color of crayon was probably that weird gold color.
17. If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be? “Not Your Average Ted”
18. What bad habit do you have that you know you need to break, but don't really want to? Actually, I’m trying to break one right now; biting my nails (fingers, not toes — laughing). I’ve done it my whole life like my dad (his nails are gross).
19. If you had to choose to live without one of your five senses, which one would you give up? Smell
20. What skills do you possess that could help you survive the zombie apocalypse? I feel like I’m a Bad Mamba Jamba and I possess a combination of brains, brawn, and awesomeness to survive.
21. What is your personal motto? Be nice to everyone, be open to new things, and treat others with respect regardless of their situation.