Hosted by Centennial Roots, SIUC, Carbondale Branch AAUW, Alto Vineyards and WIN for Southern Illinois and Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies – SIU. The Celebrate Women event was March 21 at Morris Library. The evening included a silent auction, a reception, awards presentation and a book signing from Guest speaker, Kate Germano, a retired Marine Corps officer and author of ‘Fight Like A Girl’.
The Celebrate Women Mentoring Awards acknowledges those that take it upon themselves to be a source of knowledge and support in promoting others' personal and professional growth. There were three mentoring award winners this year. Sandy Pensoneau-Conway was awarded the Celebrate Women Faculty Mentoring Award. Alicia Jones was awarded the Celebrate Women Faculty Mentoring Award. Valerie Rasp was awarded the Celebrate Women AP Mentoring Award.
The theme of the 2019 Celebrate Women event was ‘Visionary Women’. This theme was meant to recognize the innovations developed by women, those women who dared to take on challenges others thought impossible to achieve, and those women who champion the vision of other women building a support system for positive change. As part of the 2019 Celebrate Women event, these stories were showcased by poems, short stories, drawings, photos and 3D art.
1. Nana Bondzi of Carbondale
2. Emma Diaz and Seyi Amosu, both of Carbondale
3. Valerie Rasp and Tammi Rinski, both of Carbondale with Lisa Scott of Purdue University
4. Annie Johnson of Mattoon
5. Lizette Chevalier and Bonnie Heidinger, both of Carbondale
6. Anna Morris of Carterville and April Robinson-Kain of Herrin
7. Bridget Gallagher of Cincinnati with Hannah Colbrook and Susan Pear Iman, both of Carbondale
8. Lauryn Kadela and Michelle Kadela, both of Marion
9. Doug Lind, Amanda Floray, Selassie Torlcornoo, Alicia Jones, Lisa Scott and Angela Upchurch, all with SIU School of Law
You have free articles remaining.
10. Bobbi Knapp and Sarah Chichester, both of Carbondale
11. Guest speaker Kate Germano of Washington D.C.
12. Erin Dickson, Kathy Renfro and Lizette Chevalier, all of Carbondale
13. Harvey Henson and Jolynn Smith, both of Carbondale
14. Carol Jackson of Carbondale and Becky Craddock of Marion
15. Dr. Ella Lacey of Carbondale
16. Shelby Swafford and Anna Wilcoxen, both of Carbondale
17. Caitlin Cox of Carbondale and Rachel Gunn of Marion
18. Meera Komarraju and Todd Bryson, both of Carbondale
19. Lula and Saja Abou-Jabal of Carbondale
20. Nour Farhat and Ali Srour, both of Carbondale
21. Joyce Hesketh of Carbondale