Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Chicago party bus shooting wounds 8 amid rising gun violence

Chicago party bus shooting wounds 8 amid rising gun violence

  • 0
{{featured_button_text}}
Chicago Violence

Police investigate the scene of a shooting at the corner of West Douglas Boulevard and South Ridgeway Avenue in Lawndale, Wednesday, July 21, 2021 in Chicago. Police say this was one of several fatal shootings in the city on the same day.

CHICAGO — A drive-by shooting in Chicago wounded eight people who had been riding on a party bus, one of several shootings in the city that left at least three people dead on the same day, police said.

The mass shooting happened late Wednesday in Lincoln Park on the city's North Side when one or more people in an SUV fired at the group, police said. It comes amid efforts to curb rising gun violence in the city and around the U.S., including new gun trafficking strike forces in Chicago and four other cities.

Following the party bus shooting, one man was hospitalized in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the chest, police said, while the other men and women who were wounded were in good, fair or serious condition.

No arrests were reported and police didn't immediately say what may have led to the shooting.

Earlier in the night, a drive-by shooting on the city's Near West Side left two men dead. The men were standing outside in West Town when someone in a passing SUV fired shots at them. No one was immediately taken into custody.

Ten other people were shot, one fatally, in two mass shootings within blocks and minutes of each other Wednesday evening in North Lawndale on Chicago's West Side, police said.

A 14-year-old boy died after being shot in the head in one shooting, which also wounded four other teens, including a 16-year-old who was in grave condition, police said.

A Florida man who breached the U.S. Senate chamber carrying a Trump campaign flag is scheduled to become the first Jan. 6 rioter sentenced for a felony, in a hearing that will help set a benchmark for punishment in similar cases.Prosecutors want Paul Allard Hodgkins to serve 18 months behind bars, saying in a recent filing that he, like each rioter, contributed to the collective threat to democracy by forcing lawmakers to temporarily abandon their certification of Joe Bidens election victory and to scramble for shelter from incoming mobs.Video footage shows Hodgkins, 38, wearing a Trump 2020 T-shirt, the flag flung over his shoulder and eye goggles around his neck inside the Senate. He took a selfie with a self-described shaman in a horned helmet and other rioters on the dais behind him.His sentencing Monday in Washington could set the bar for punishments of hundreds of other defendants as they decide whether to accept plea deals or go to trial. Hodgkins and others are accused of serious crimes but were not indicted, as other were, for roles in larger conspiracies.A lawyer for Hodgkins, who pleaded guilty last month to one count of obstructing an official proceeding, asked U.S. District Judge Randolph Moss not to impose a prison sentence, saying the shame that will attach to Hodgkins for the rest of his life should be factored in as punishment.Whatever punishment this court may provide will pale in comparison to the scarlet letter Mr. Hodgkins will wear for the rest of his life, Patrick N. Leduc wrote in a recent filing, citing a Nathaniel Hawthorne novel in which a woman accused of adultery is forced to wear a letter A.The filing argues that Hodgkins' actions werent markedly different from those of Anna Morgan Lloyd other than Hodgkins stepping onto the Senate floor. The 49-year-old from Indiana was the first of roughly 500 arrested to be sentenced. She pleaded guilty to misdemeanor disorderly conduct and last month was sentenced to three years of probation.Hodgkins was never accused of assaulting anyone or damaging property. And prosecutors said he deserves some leniency for taking responsibility almost immediately and pleading guilty to the obstruction charge, which carries a maximum 20-yeas prison sentence.Additional reporting by The Associated Press.

The second shooting about the same time wounded five people, including an 18-year-old man who was in critical condition and a 14-year-old boy who was in good condition.

Chicago police Deputy Chief Ernest Cato visited the site of the second shooting and pleaded for the public's help in investigating the attacks.

"We're going to need an all-hands-on-deck approach, and that approach is going to involve … our community getting involved, and saying what's going on," he said. "Our community who has cellphone pictures, who has Facebook information. We're going to need your help."

On Monday, the Chicago Police Department announced a new team of officers, prosecutors and federal agents that will target gun trafficking as part of anti-violence efforts. It followed another bloody weekend that ended with more than 60 people shot, including 10 fatally.

0
0
0
0
0

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News