Carbondale, IL 62901
About First United Methodist Church
First United Methodist Church offers opportunities for worship, witness, services to others, and fellowship. These opportunities are what give life meaning and purpose, and if you would like to explore some of those opportunities with others who are seeking the best that God has for them and their families, then please join us. You will be welcomed into a community that is dedicated to proclaiming and reaching out into the world with God's love.
We also offer youth ministry, congregational care, teaching ministry, older adult ministry, health ministry, music ministry, family in progress, singles ministry, and women's ministry. If you are interested in any of the services listed above, please contact us for more information. You can call us directly at 618-457-2416.
Preschool through adult Sunday School classes are starting up in September. If you are 4 years old or 94, there is a place for you. Come join us at 9:30 a.m. and be a part of our church school family.
Preschool through 5th grade children are invited to join us on Sunday mornings at 9:30 a.m. for Sunday school classes and at 10:45 a.m. for Children's Church. Stories, music, crafts, fun activites and a welcoming place to learn about God. See you this coming Sunday!
"Called together by the Holy Spirit, we proclaim God's presence and love in the world through prayer, worship, education and service. We invite children, youth and adults to become disciples of Jesus Christ, live fully in the Holy Spirit and embrace God's love."
*Our annual service of Lessons and Carols with choir and full orchestra is always one of our most popular events.
The purpose statements of First United Methodist Church of Carbondale are as follows:
Guided by the Word of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit we seek to
• Live out the commitment "Open hearts, Open minds, Open doors" by welcoming all persons to come and be a part of our church family;
• Serve our local community and the world through spiritual and social outreach. We will be "His hand reaching out to the oppressed" so that others may also know Jesus Christ and be blessed;
• Worship in a spiritual manner that is both traditional and creative with high quality and theologically-based music, preaching and teaching;
• Partner with diverse churches and organizations in our local area to extend our outreach;
• Understand and respond to the continuous changes and needs in society.
► Baptism is for infants, youth or adults and can be done by immersion, pouring or sprinkling.
► Confirmation is training for baptized youths who want to make their own personal faith commitment.
► Communion is celebrated monthly and is open to any person who wants to "walk with God" through Jesus Christ.
Anyone who is seeking to be a disciple of Jesus Christ is invited to join us in that journey as a full, associate or affiliate member.
► Full Member: You become a full member by any of these processes:
• Profession of Faith - If you do not currently have membership in any Christian church, you are invited to profess your faith, be baptized, and join FUMC.
• Transfer of Membership - You can be transferred from another United Methodist Church or any other Christian church. Since you would have been baptized in this situation you will not be rebaptized.
► Affiliate Member: If you are living in the area for an extended time and belong to another United Methodist Church, you can become connected with our church for this time and enjoy the rights of membership.
► Associate Member: If you are living in the area for an extended time and belong to another Christian church, you can become connected with our church for this time and enjoy the rights of membership.
Is this your business?
Promote your business through our innovative Marketplace system! It's free to sign up!