• Women's golf at Lady Red Wolves Invitational, Jonesboro, Arkansas: The Salukis finish out their two-day event at Sage Meadows Country Club. SIU is one of nine teams at the tournament.
• SIU Basketball Media Day, Carbondale: The men's and women's basketball teams meet the media to talk about the upcoming season. The Saluki men return two starters off last season's 17-15 club and have a new coach in Bryan Mullins. Cindy Stein's club returns five starters, plus some promising newcomers, from last season's 15-15 team.
• The Missouri Valley Conference will release its preseason men's and women's basketball polls, along with their preseason teams, Thursday morning at mvc-sports.com.
• Women's swimming and diving at Illinois/Illinois State, Champaign-Urbana, 5 p.m.: The Saluki women's team heads to the University of Illinois for a tri-dual meet against the Fighting Illini and Redbirds. SIU swept Bellarmine and Valparaiso at a home meet Oct. 11. Senior Laura Carver won three events the 200-yard freestyle, 200 breast and 200 individual medley and finished second in the 100 IM.
• Volleyball (10-10, 2-4 MVC) hosts Evansville (12-5, 3-3), Davies Gym, 6 p.m.: The Salukis return home to face Evansville in the first of five straight matches in Carbondale. Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for kids. SIU students with a valid ID get in free. SIU got swept at Loyola and Valparaiso, losing 3-0 to the Ramblers and 3-1 to the Crusaders.
You have free articles remaining.
• SIU Hall of Fame induction ceremony/dinner, Banterra Center, 6:30 p.m.: SIU will welcome eight new members into its athletic hall of fame Friday night on the concourse of the Banterra Center.
• Women's soccer (4-8-2) hosts SIU Edwardsville (5-5-4), Hartzog Track and Field Complex, 7 p.m.: SIU is back at home to face sister school SIU-Edwardsville on Senior Night. The Salukis will honor seniors Andrea Rodriguez, a transfer from Louisiana Tech, and Carbondale native Ashley Moore, who came from Kaskaskia College. SIU tied Eastern Illinois 0-0 in its last match Oct. 10. The Cougars beat the Panthers 3-2 in overtime Sunday.
• Cross country at Under Armour Pre-National Invitational, Terre Haute, Indiana, 10 a.m.: Indiana State University hosts a cross country meet at the site of the NCAA championship in November. The SIU men finished ninth at its last competition, at the Gans Creek Classic in Missouri Sept. 27. The SIU women finished 10th.
• Football (2-4, 0-2 MVFC) hosts No. 18/19 Youngstown State (4-2, 0-2), Saluki Stadium, 2 p.m.: The Salukis go for their first Missouri Valley Football Conference win of the season against the Penguins, who have lost two straight games after winning their first four. Tickets are $20 for adults and $15 for youth (2-17 years old). Kids 2 years old or younger that are going to sit on someone's lap do not need a ticket. YSU beat SIU 17-14 last year in Youngstown, Ohio.
• Volleyball hosts Indiana State (3-13, 1-5 MVC), Davies Gym, 6 p.m.: The volleyball team closes out Homecoming Saturday with a home match against the Sycamores. Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for kids (2-17 years old). SIU students with valid ID get in free. Live stats are available at siusalukis.com.
• Men's golf at Little Rock Invitational, Little Rock, Arkansas: The SIU men's golf team kicks off a two-day tournament in Little Rock. The Salukis last competed at the Wolfpack Invitational in North Carolina, where they finished ninth out of 15 teams. Freshman Riley Klingelberg finished tied for 19th place, his second top-20 finish in two starts this season. SIU beat two top-100 teams in North Carolina, Maryland and Jacksonville.