• Men's golf at Racer Invitational, Miller Memorial Golf Course, Murray, Ky.: The men's golf team, which reached the NCAA regionals for the second time in the last three years last year, open the fall season in Murray. After 36 holes on Monday, the second round begins around 9 a.m. Tuesday. "In our top five, we have a very young group with two freshmen and two sophomores," SIU coach Justin Fetcho said. "While two of the players competed in a NCAA regionals for us last year, we still have a lot of Division I collegiate inexperience in the lineup. We will be putting a strong emphasis on staying patient, playing the correct way and understanding that we can't focus on the things we can't control."
• Volleyball (3-3) hosts Southeast Missouri State (4-2), Davies Gym, 6 p.m.: The Salukis have won eight of their last 10 matches against their regional rivals to the south and come off a 2-1 performance in their home tournament last weekend. SEMO comes off a 3-0 weekend at its home tournament after sweeping Jackson State, Western Illinois and Evansville. The Redhawks were picked to finish sixth in the OVC preseason poll. Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for youth and available at the door or through siusalukis.com.
The match is scheduled to air on ESPN+.
• Volleyball host the Saluki Invitational, Banterra Center: SIU takes on IUPUI at 12:30 p.m. and Memphis at 7:30. Both matches are scheduled to air on ESPN+. Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for youth for each day. SIU students get in free with valid ID.
• Rick Walker Celebration, Blue Sky Vineyard, 7 p.m.: Former alumni and Saluki swimming and diving fans are invited to help celebrate former coach Rick Walker's 32 year coaching career at Blue Sky Vineyard. Contact Bryce Williams (618-317-2358 or by email at email@example.com) for more information.
You have free articles remaining.
• Swimming and diving host Alumni Weekend and a celebration of former coach Rick Walker's career, SIU Rec Center, 9 a.m.: After a public practice, SIU coach Geoff Hanson is scheduled to host a Q&A session with former alumni. SIU is then hosting a tailgate from 3-6 p.m. before the football game against UT Martin.
• Volleyball hosts the Saluki Invitational, Banterra Center: SIU hosts Alabama State at 1:30 p.m. in its finale of the tournament.
• Cross country at Illinois State Invitational, Normal, 5 p.m.: The SIU cross country team finished first (men) and second (women) at its opener, the Saluki Invitational, in August.
• Football hosts UT Martin, Saluki Stadium, 6 p.m.: SIU has four of its first five games on the road, with Saturday's game the lone home appearance. The Salukis come off a 45-20 win at UMass, their first win over an FBS opponent in 12 years. The Skyhawks lost 45-0 last weekend at No. 11 Florida. The game is scheduled to air on ESPN+. Tickets are $20 for adults and $15 for youth (2-17 years old). SIU students get in free with valid ID.
• Women's soccer (3-3-1) at Western Kentucky, Bowling Green, Ky., 6 p.m.: The Salukis close a three-match road swing at Western Kentucky.
• Women's soccer vs. Morehead State, Hartzog Track and Field Complex, 1 p.m.: The Salukis return home to face Morehead State. Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for youth. SIU students get in free with valid ID.
-- Todd Hefferman