Subscribe for 17¢ / day

CARBONDALE — Carbondale rallied from the 9-0 halftime deficit to take the lead in the third quarter, but Waterloo came back to beat the Terriers, 25-19, in the 21st meeting of the two teams in a non-conference football game Friday night at Frank Bleyer Field.

"We made a mistake here and there, and I think we were robbed of an opportunity on a 4th-and-1 with a minute left to maybe score again," said Carbondale coach Bryan Lee. "I thought we outplayed them in the second half and our defense played real well tonight. We are real close and we just have to keep moving forward."

The Carbondale defense forced five turnovers on three fumbles and two interceptions, but Waterloo shook them off to score three straight touchdowns at the end of the third quarter and the beginning of the fourth to win its fourth straight against the Terriers.

"We have to eliminate those turnovers," said Waterloo coach Dan Rose. "Our kids played with resolution when it didn’t look very good."

Carbondale (1-2) ran only 14 plays in the first half, but came out throwing to open the third quarter. The Terriers overcame a holding penalty that wiped out out a 34-yard touchdown run by Courtney Hunter, eventually scoring on an eight-yard touchdown pass from Seth Germann to Shandon Scott-Rivers to cut the lead to 9-7.

Scott-Rivers got the ball back for the Terriers on Waterloo’s next series, intercepting Graham Baker to set up the offense at the Waterloo 48. Four plays later, Hunter raced around left end, weaving through the tacklers to score another 34-yard touchdown. The extra point was wide left, leaving the Terriers with a 13-9 lead with 6:13 left in the third.

Dalton Viglasky, who led the game with 149 yards on 34 carries, found an opening down the left side line on the kickoff and raced 54 yards to set up the Bulldogs at the Carbondale 33. Seven plays later, Viglasky fumbled the ball into the end zone to give the Terriers a reprieve.

The Terrier offense was forced to punt leaving the Bulldogs on the Terrier 44. Viglasky slashed off the left side for 26 yards and followed with an 11-yard carry and then scored from the seven to regain the lead for the Waterloo.

Germann was then picked off on the first play, leaving the Bulldogs at their own 45. After driving to the 18, the Carbondale defense stopped Viglasky on a 4th-and-2 to keep the score 16-13.

On the Terriers' next series, Hunter was injured and didn’t return to the game. The Terriers tried to convert a 4th-and-7 at the Carbondale 24, but Germann had trouble with a low snap and threw the ball away.

Waterloo (1-2) needed just three plays to extend its lead to 23-13 on a 19-yard touchdown pass from Baker to Jackson Ivers. On the kickoff, the Terriers fumbled the ball into the end zone for their second safety of the game extending the lead to 25-13 with 5:27 remaining.

Clayton Greer intercepted Baker, setting up the Terriers at the Carbondale 48 after a personal foul erased a 15-yard return. However, the Terriers shook it off and drove 52 yards ,with Germann throwing an 18-yard touchdown pass to Tremel Truitt with 3:23 remaining. The two-point conversion failed.

With 59 seconds remaining, the Terriers thought they had stopped Baker on a 4th-and-1 at the Carbondale 32, but it was ruled he had just made it, and that sealed the win.

In the first half the Terrier defense was stalwart forcing three Waterloo fumbles recovering two.

The Bulldogs' opening drive of the game went all the way to the Carbondale two, but the defense came up big, forcing a fumble on a quarterback sneak by Baker taking over at the one.

However, Hunter was tackled in the end zone for a safety on the next play to give the Bulldogs a 2-0 lead with 2:59 left in the first quarter.

The Bulldogs started on their own 11 with 8:50 left in the first half, and 13 plays later, scored on a one-yard run by Viglasky to take a 9-0 lead with 2:12 remaining.


Load comments